“…joy in life doesn’t usually come in long stretches for hours at a time, month after month, year after year . . . but in moments.”
K1 HKi used the iPads to take photographs as we went on a number hunt around our school. We found lots of numbers in our environment:
"Look, on the microwave!"
"Teachers use numbers too!"
We used our photographs to make a number line for their K1 classroom:
The expectations we were working towards:
- use a digital device to create a visual piece of work, with the support of an adult
- use a digital tool to collect and visualize data
- with teacher support, identify steps to take to complete a given task using a digital tool
Things I learned during this lesson:
- the iPads are heavy and a bit hard for the K1s to hold and press the shutter to take a photo. Changing to iPod Touch should solve this problem
- we need to have a chat before starting about the important things to remember when taking photos - #1 Stand Still!
- it is so much more fun (not to mention the connections being made) when a different teacher opens up their classroom for us, Ms. Imogen helped us find numbers in the music room and that was the favourite place to take photos.